BROYLES AWARD ANNOUNCES SEMI-FINALISTS
Selection Committee Narrows List to 15
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
LITTLE ROCK, Ark. (December 15, 2020) – The Frank & Barbara Broyles Foundation is pleased to announce the semi-finalists for the 2020 Broyles Award, which honors college football’s top assistant coaches.
The 15 semi-finalists are:
- ALABAMA, Steve Sarkisian, Offensive Coordinator / QB
- BYU, Jeff Grimes, Offensive Coordinator
- CINCINNATI, Marcus Freeman, Defensive Coordinator / LB
- COASTAL CAROLINA, Chad Staggs, Defensive Coordinator / LB
- FLORIDA, Brian Johnson, Offensive Coordinator / QB
- INDIANA, Kane Wommack, Defensive Coordinator / LB
- IOWA, Phil Parker, Defensive Coordinator / Secondaries
- IOWA STATE, Tom Manning, Offensive Coordinator / TE
- MIAMI, Rhett Lashlee, Offensive Coordinator / QB
- NORTH CAROLINA, Phil Longo, Offensive Coordinator / QB / TE
- NORTHWESTERN, Mike Hankwitz, Defensive Coordinator
- NOTRE DAME, Clark Lea, Defensive Coordinator / LB
- OHIO STATE, Brian Hartline, Wide Receivers
- OLE MISS, Jeff Lebby, Offensive Coordinator / QB
- TEXAS A&M, Mike Elko, Defensive Coordinator / S
A selection committee of distinguished former head coaches, broadcasters, and a committee representing the FWAA narrowed the list of nominees to 15 semi-finalists. Five finalists will be selected from the list of semi-finalists then an overall winner.
The Broyles Award is proud to honor Coach John Schlarman, offensive line coach from Kentucky, with a Lifetime Achievement Award for his dedication to inspiring excellence in athletics through coaching.
The winner of the 2019 Broyles Award was Joe Brady, passing game coordinator at LSU. Previous winners are not eligible to be nominated for the Broyles Award until the completion of three seasons. For a list of all previous winners and finalists, visit the Broyles Award website.
Proceeds from the 2020 Broyles Award support the mission of the Broyles Foundation; to provide a game plan for Alzheimer’s caregivers through education, support, and resources all at no cost. The Broyles Foundation can be followed on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
About the Broyles Award
The Broyles Award was created in 1996 recognizing Coach Frank Broyles’ legacy of selecting and developing great assistants during his hall of fame career as head coach at Arkansas. You can follow the Broyles Award on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.
About the National College Football Awards Association
The National College Football Awards Association (NCFAA) encompasses the most prestigious awards in college football. The 21 awards boast 699 years of tradition-selection excellence. Visit NCFAA.org to learn more about our story.
About the Football Writers Association of America
The Football Writers Association of America, founded in 1941, consists of 1,300 men and women who cover college football. The membership includes journalists, broadcasters and publicists, as well as key executives in all the areas that involve the game. The FWAA works to govern areas that include game-day operations, major awards and its annual All-America team. For more information about the FWAA and its award programs, contact Steve Richardson at [email protected].