Why should this nominee be considered for the Broyles Award?
Air Force leads the nation in rushing (302.4). Air Force is third in the nation in fewest penalty yards per game (32.11). Air Force leads the MW and ranks third nationally in TOP (35:54). Air Force leads the MW and ranks eighth in the nation in fourth downs (.733/22-30). Air Force has scored a touchdown on its opening drive in six games this season. Air Force has outscored opponents 59-17 in the first quarter this season. Air Force rolled up 1,576 yards of total offense during a three-game stretch earlier this season, averaging 525.3 per game…Air Force had 441 total yards vs. UNM, 516 vs. FAU and 619 vs. Utah State.
Coach's Past Performance
Mike Thiessen is in his 15th season as an assistant coach at the Academy. This season is his eighth as the solo offensive coordinator after four years of sharing the duties, and his sixth as the quarterbacks coach.As offensive coordinator, Thiessen has led a unit over the last six years that has been in the top four of the nation in rushing each year, averaged 30-plus points per game, been in the top three nationally in passing yards per completion and among the top 10 in third-down percentage. This has been one of the most productive offensive eras in Academy history. The Falcons led the nation in rushing last season with a 305.7 average, just the second title in program history. The Falcons were the only team to average 300-plus nationally.Air Force has been efficient offensively as well. Air Force led the nation in yards per catch (23.56) last season, while finishing second in rushing (298.5) and time of possession (34:28), third in passing efficiency (187.9) and second in third down percentage (53.5) in 2019.He has guided quarterbacks Karson Roberts and Arion Worthman to bowl most valuable player honors. Roberts finished his senior campaign leading the team to a Mountain West division championship while Worthman finished the 2017 season in the top 10 in the conference in four categories. As receivers coach, Thiessen was instrumental in the development of Jalen Robinette, who finished his career as the all-time leading receiver in school history with 120 catches for 2,697 yards and 18 touchdowns. He was also a key contributor in the development of All-American Chad Hall, the conference offensive player of the year in 2007. Hall caught 50 passes, the sixth most in school history, for 524 yards, while rushing for 1,478 yards, which ranks second all-time in school history. Hall played six seasons in the NFL and earned a Super Bowl appearance with the San Francisco 49ers.
Team Record and Standings
Air Force is 6-3 overall and in second place in the MW Mountain Division with a 3-2 record.
Air Force had 619 yards of total offense against Utah State, the 15th most in school history and the most since the Falcons had 623 yards against New Mexico in 2018. Air Force had three players rush for 100-plus yards against Utah State with Emmanuel Michel (133), Brad Roberts (113) and Haaziq Daniels (102) hitting the mark…the last time the Falcons had three top the 100-yard mark was 2017 at Nevada. Air Force had a season-high 619 total yards and 437 rushing yards vs. Utah State. The Falcons ran 25 more plays and had a 13:36 advantage in time of possession in the win over Navy. The Falcons led the TOP battle in each quarter, posting times of 9:11 in the first, 8:33, 9:27 and 9:37.Air Force’s option offense is making things difficult on opponents. Air Force has run 143 more plays than its opponents, which is an average of 15.9 per game, and held the ball for an average of 11:52 more per game. The team ranks third in the nation in time of possession with a 35:54 mark. Air Force has won the time of possession battle in eight of nine games this season and run more plays eight times. Air Force has held the ball longer than its opponent in all four quarters three times this season (at Navy, vs. FAU, at Boise State). The Falcons have posted 10 quarters of 10:00 or more in TOP.
Individual Player Stats
#4 – Haaziq Daniels, QB6-1, 200, Jr.Franklin, NJ (Saint John Vianney)2021
• Ranks in the top 10 of the Mountain West in four categories: Yards/Carry 5.03 4th Rushing 69.9 9th Total Offense 157.4 9th Passing 87.6 10th
• Second on team in rushing with 629 yards and a team-best nine touchdowns on 125 carries… has scored a rushing touchdown in six games
• Has hit 38-78 passes for 788 yards with three TDs and two INTs
• Recorded career highs in all passing categories vs. Army, hitting 13-22 passes for 226 yards and a TD…also rushed for 54 yards on 15 carries
• Rushed for 83 yards and a TD and hit 1-5 passes for 59 yards at Boise State…his 59 yard completion matches a career long• Hit 7-10 passes for 110 yards and a TD vs. Wyoming…also rushed for 23 yards on nine carries
• Two straight 100-yard rushing games earlier this season vs. Utah State and FAU, averaging 133 yards per game• Rushed for a career-high 164 yards and two touchdowns vs. FAU…broke a 50-year-old school record with a 94 yard TD run, breaking the record of 88 by Joel Carlson vs. Army in 1971…also hit 2-4 passes for 70 yards• His 94 yard TD was the longest in the nation that week, longest by an FBS QB in 18 years (95 yards, Kyle Herm, Rice, vs. Nevada in 2003) and the longest by a MW player since Rashaad Penny of SDSU went 95 yards vs. Arizona State in 2017
• Rushed for a then-career-high 102 yards and a touchdown on a 39 yard run vs. Utah State…100-yard effort is first of his career…also hit 6-12 passes for a career-best 182 yards and a touchdown…also completed a career-long 59 yard pass• Rushed for 72 yards on 19 carries and scored a career-best three TDs vs. Lafayette…also hit 3-5 passes for 50 yards